It’s January again, and I hope you’ve had an opportunity for some rest and enjoyment before stepping into the new year. We can all agree that HR has carried a heavy load during the pandemic, and it’s not getting lighter. With that knowledge, it may be helpful to start the new year with some reflection on the past and set some intentions and goals for the months to come. You’re invited to join me as I dive in!
First, find a time when you can sit quietly with a notebook and pen, and use these questions to guide your thinking:
- What was the high point of the last twelve months? What was the low point?
- What did I learn in 2021? How did I grow?
- What do I want to bring forward? What do I want to leave behind?
Setting goals for 2022 can seem difficult when we don’t know where this pandemic rollercoaster will take us next. I like to set intentions for the year and add some new habits to keep myself on track. Some questions I explore are:
- What do I want to focus on for 2022?
- What change do I want to see by this time next year?
- What do I want to learn in the coming year?
- What’s been on my goal list for a while that I could accomplish this year?
If you're thinking specifically about your work as an HR professional, some areas for focus could be:
- How can we support employees’ mental health in a long-term, sustainable fashion?
- How can I support my own mental health as an HR professional? What practices do I need to start doing? What boundaries do I need to set?
- How do our company policies need to change to truly reflect DEI values and practices?
- What does our work-from-home policy need in order to ensure that employees are safe in their home offices?
- What skill do I want to add to my HR toolkit in 2022? How will I make that happen?
The final step is making a plan to achieve your goals for the year. Start small – what’s one action you can take to move toward that goal?
If you need someone to help you stay on track, consider working with a coach, a mastermind group, or a mentor. Take time throughout the year to check in with your goals and celebrate your successes!
The idea of January bringing a fresh start is very appealing, and that energy can be a powerful way to propel yourself forward. Above all, hold true to your values and take care of your health as you step into 2022.
To learn more about how AccessHR's coaching practice can help you, contact us directly.
AccessHR Inc. provides professional HR consulting services with exceptional quality, creativity and ethical practice. When it comes to supporting clients, we focus on doing the right thing.